Filing NIL returns is one of the simplest tasks on the iTax portal. It’s a requirement by law that every unemployed PIN holder should file NIL returns. For companies and businesses who never made any sales or were out of business for a given period, its also important to take it seriously and file NIL returns.
Below is a step by step guide on how to file Nil returns online.
- Visit https://itax.kra.go.ke/
2. Enter PIN/User ID (KRA PIN), click Continue and type in your password and answer the security question to access your iTax profile. If you have any trouble accessing your profile, kindly read this post on how to retrieve your KRA PIN/Password.
3. To File a KRA Nil Return, click on the Returns menu, select File Nil Return option. It’s the 5th option in the list.
4. Under Tax Obligation, select Value Added Tax – VAT or Income Tax PAYE from drop down menu.
5. Enter the return period and click Submit.
6. An e-Return Acknowledgement receipt will be generated, Download the e-Return Acknowledge slip for your records. You can also find a copy in your email address.
For any queries, or if you get stuck along the way, send me a tweet to @dukebosire or @kenyanzima and I will reply shortly, or post your concern in the comments section below.